Thursday, November 11, 2010

For Those Who Rock - We Salute You!!!


    Today is Veteran's Day.  What does it mean? Officially it is an annual United States holiday that honors military veterans.  It always falls on November 11th, to remember the signing of the Armistice that ended World War 1.  It was formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.  Now, I am all for conspiracy theories, especially ones that have to do with the US Government, whether is has some symbolism with the number 11 as above or whether  it is a coincidence that Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy and Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln.  Hell, I am even with the conspiracy about the government cover up of extra terrestrials. But let's stick with the point here.   What does Veterans Day mean to some? Well, many people get off from school and from work.  Let me just say that my son had school today and I went to work as the ever so happy worker as usual.  Really, the only ones who get off of work to honor our Veterans, you know, those who fought bravely to keep my sorry ass from being a communist, are government workers and banks.  Banks close for any holiday.  I am real surprised that they are opened on Flag Day.  Give it a few more years and they will be. 
     Anyway, Veteran's Day means a little more to me.  It reminds me that even though there are troubles and problems in my life, they don't compare with  the rest of the country.  I worry day to day about petty things, such as money, more time to do non-productive things and the philosophy of less work and more play.  The country has to worry about terrorist attacks again, massive outbreak of some foreign flu or epidemic, starving families on the street, senators in bathroom stalls and a shit ton more.  My problems aren't JACK SHIT compared to this country's.  And you know what, it could be a whole lot worse if it wasn't for our Veterans, those who fought in WWI, WWII, the Persian Gulf, Kosovo, Vietnam, Korean, ...hell, I could go on and on.  They fought to protect our freedom so that each and everyday, I have the opportunity to go to work and earn a living for my family and not some Nazi dictator.  Okay, all I am saying is, THANK YOU!  Thank you to all the men and women who have fought and are fighting right now for protecting me from the bad guys. I appreciate everything you do and everything you have done to keep my family, friends and my sorry ass safe.
      I know this is an outlet for TCY and an amusing read for others, but TCY just did not have anything to say today.  Maybe he was too busy honoring the veterans in his life instead of wasting his time here.  So just enjoy the quietness right now, and thank a Veteran.  I personally have never served in the armed forces.  When i was fresh out of high school, I didn't want to join.  There were recruiters at my school.  I was selfish and only thought about myself.  I didn't want to put myself in harms way for a country I didn't really give a crap about.  But being grown up now, well, as grown up as I will ever be, I do regret a little that I did not serve for my country.  I do know that The Crankee Yankee himself served, and I would like to thank him also.  Damn, I feel sorry for the guy who got in his way when he was in a mood. 
     Also,  I would like to personally thank my cousin.  She is in the Army, and she is kicking bad guy's ASSES!!!  Since I don't say specific names here, when she reads this, she will know who I mean.  I would also like to thank my father-in-law for serving and my grandfather for kicking some bad guys ass!  Once again, to all the Veterans and the One Day to Be Veterans...THANK YOU!

No comments: